Wednesday, December 29, 2010

That Holiday Feeling

Well, the holidays are almost over, so we thought we'd write a quick few lines to tell everyone how it went. It was a busy season - like everyone's - but enjoyable.

I think we set the bar with getting our Christmas cards out as early as possible. Amanda thought it would be a great idea to showcase a couple of our engagement pictures my Dad took. We have to admit, the cards caused quite the stir!

Next, we went to go get our Christmas tree at Eaton Creek Farm. This was our second year to partake in selecting and chopping down the "perfect" tree. I was more selective than Amanda in this part-I think she was just ready to go because in true Washington fashion, it started to rain.

We celebrated with our 3rd annual tradition of seeing the Nutcracker. We'd hoped to attend the top class production in Seattle, but apparently the tickets were made out of solid gleaming platinum, for that is the only way I can possibly describe the price. Instead we opted for the Tacoma Ballet, which was charming and pleasant, and also featured the smallest theatre seats known to the history of man. It was an opera hall built for a race of ballet-enthused leprechauns. Really, if I have trouble fitting in a seat, you know you have a problem. Anatomically, I don't even have hips. We buy a Nutcracker ornament every year to add to our tree.

As if we hadn't done enough for Christmas sake, Amanda decided we should make our first ever  gingerbread house starting from scratch. It was fun for the first five hours. We managed to get all mixed together, rolled out, cut, baked, and constructed. We didn't have the energy to decorate it. Besides, I was eating the candy while working. The gingerbread turned out nicely and afterwards we appreciated all our hard work.

Amanda was kind enough to stay in Washington for Christmas, in spite of a shocking lack of warmth and vitamin D. She's doing all right, but I'm going to have to fly her out to some sort of island, soon. The wet, Washington winter is not kind to Southerners.

Christmas was wonderful. Like most of you, our family gets a bit more numerous each year. There are nieces and step nephews and parents and friends to visit, so it's tough to get everyone under one roof. We chose to solve this problem by celebrating for a solid three days. There's no problem with scheduling that making Christmas longer can't solve.

So we spent Thursday the 23rd with my sister Becky and family, Christmas Eve with my mother and her best friend Vicky, and Christmas day having brunch at my Dad's. Then back to my mother's. I'm sure she was at least a little tired of us at this point. Wine helped.

As you've heard, Amanda got a rather nice Mishe bag (if I do say so myself) and I got a set of sterling silver collar stays. If you've never thought of buying collar stays, then trust me. You should. Mine have nice things inscribed on them, like "You have a big heart," and the wonderfully inaccurate, "You share your dessert."

We hope you enjoyed your holiday season as much as we did! ~S.



Amanda + Scott

No comments:

Post a Comment